My name is Erin Kuhns. Toward the end of 2012, I was facing the stark fact that I was staring 40 in the face and although I do embrace birthdays (because no matter what, one must have cake on her birthday…vanilla, please), with this one around the bend, I couldn’t help but stop and take a close look at my life. My realization? I’ve faced some serious challenges in my life, which have brought me to what is now a calm, comfortable and generally sweet existence. I live on a beautiful farm tucked away in the Gatineau Hills in rural Quebec.
I am quite content spending most of my spare time puttering around the farm, spending quality time with good friends and wonderful family and then curling up with my cats in front of an inviting fire. This often includes laughing at Frasier reruns, reading a great book or creeping around Facebook for no other reason than it’s simply there. Now, to be clear, I am not giving these things up – they are all very good for the soul. However, I’ve decided that it’s time to enrich my life with some new experiences. So I have decided that I will step outside of my comfort zone and make sure I do at least 100 things that are outside of my general routine. Some will be true challenges; others will simply be about doing something different. And in order to keep accountable for my challenge, I am blogging about my journey.
My goal: To open up my world and not spend another year just chilling out in the armchair of life. And I would LOVE for people to join me! Friends, family, strangers…if you feel inspired, join in and share your own experiences and thoughts. Join me on some of my adventures! (Road trip, anyone?) Even just throw ideas my way. If you have an idea, email me using the contact form on the contact page. I’d love to hear them. And I will add them to the Hit List. But bear in mind that I am doing this on a limited budget and so I cannot afford to hop a plane for an out-of-my-comfort-zone trip to Italy…not yet, anyway.
15 Random Things about Me
1. I live on a farm surrounded by almost 300 acres of beauty.
2. Although I live on a farm, the only animals I have are 2 cats, 2 dogs and 1 adolescent son.
3. I make maple syrup (aka maple gold) in the spring.
4. My wood stove makes me happy.
5. My cat has a maple leaf marking on her nose.
6. I planted 266 garlic plants this year.
7. Dirty martinis are…just yum.
8. I’m a tea person. Coffee is gross.
9. I work for a non-profit organization and I genuinely like my job.
10. I used to be an elementary school teacher. One word: Stressful.
11. Frogs are awesome.
12. I like to cross-country ski but I fall every time I go down a hill, then I laugh at myself. Every time.
13. I don’t own high heel shoes.
14. I love all of the seasons when they arrive but I think fall is my favourite. You can’t beat the deep smell of falling leaves.
15. One of my favourite things ever: Spending time with my son. He’s a seriously awesome kid.